Celebrate National Banana Split Day today with some fun facts about the banana split. Everyone knows how to make a traditional banana split: One scoop each of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream , served in a row between a split banana. Topped off with chocolate and strawberry syrups, pineapple topping, and garnished with nuts, whipped cream, and a cherry on top. For a twist on the delicious taste of a banana split, finish off your day with a bag of Tropical Foods Banana Split Mix. All the delicious flavor of a banana split with none of the melted mess.
Top 5 Fun Facts about the Banana Split:
- The banana split was invented in 1904 at Strickler’s Drug Store in Latrobe, Pennsylvania.
- It was originally sold to customers for 10 cents, which at the time was twice the price of other sundaes.
- The Walgreen drug stores, operated by Charles Rudolph Walgreens in the Chicago area, is often credited with spreading the banana split’s popularity to a national level. The store had promoted the banana split as their signature dessert.
- The city of Latrobe, Pennsylvania celebrates the annual Great American Banana Split Festival and still has the original soda fountain where the first banana split was made.
- Bananas contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan (also found in turkey) that instantly relaxes the body and improves mood, they are also high in B vitamins which helps to calm the nervous system.