The confectionery industry provides 55,000 manufacturing jobs in more than 1,000 facilities across the country, with a direct economic impact of $35 billion. Bulk candy and chocolate can be a great addition to any retail location. To help your choices, we’re sharing some of our merchandising tips for bulk candy along with five of our best sellers.
Merchandising tips for bulk candy and chocolate:
- Bright lighting always showcases the product and signage best. Make sure to keep displays and candy out of direct sunlight though.
- Varying the colors of the candy mix throughout the display and providing a wide variety of flavors ensures you’ll meet the tastes of the widest variety of customers.
- To merchandise chocolate most effectively, take a multi-sensory approach. People approach the counter with their taste buds, eyes and their emotions/memories. It’s important to keep that in mind when presenting the product so you capture a little of each of those senses.
- Store configuration and product positioning within it also play key roles in retailing candy. It’s important for shoppers to be able to navigate a store quickly and to easily find their candy of choice.
- The 80/20 rule always applies. Highlight the 20 percent of your SKUs that account for 80 percent of the volume.
- Consider simplicity and keeping one brand straight across the bins. Since customers read left to right it keeps the candy organized and can help buyers find what they need easier. Gravity-feed displays are also a great way for keeping a candy set organized.
- Milk chocolate still outpaces dark chocolate in sales, but the gap is closing. Consider highlighting the health benefits of dark chocolate to reach your target audience.
Top 5 Best Selling Bulk Candy & Chocolate
- M&M’s – Plain (M&M’s Peanut are a close second!)
- Assorted Jelly Belly
- Hershey Hodge-Podge (Almond Joy, Pay Day, Kit Kat and Hershey’s Miniatures)
- Wild Fruit Gummy Bears
- Dark Chocolate Almonds