It’s International Women’s Business Day and it’s a special day to recognize women around the world. Tropical Foods is proud to be part of the global network of women-owned businesses. Tropical is certified in the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) and the Women-Owned Small Business Program (WOSB) with the majority ownership of Carolyn Bennett and Angela Bauer.
Some fun facts about women-owned businesses:
- It’s estimated that there are now 11.3 million women-owned businesses in the United States, employing nearly 9 million people and generating over $1.6 trillion in revenues.
- Women-owned businesses employ 40% more people than the three largest employers — McDonald’s, IBM and Wal-Mart — combined.
- Between 2007 and 2016, the number of women-owned firms increased by 45%, compared to just a 9% increase among all businesses.
- Since the recession, the greatest growth in the number of women-owned firms has been seen in the South. Eight of the top 10 fastest growing states and metro areas for women-owned firms are found in that region.
- The 10 states home to the greatest number of women-owned firms are: California, Texas, Florida, New York, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.
- The top 10 metropolitan areas for women-owned companies, ranked on growth in economic clout between 2007 and 2016, are:
- Charlotte NC
- San Antonio TX
- Dallas TX and Memphis, TN (tied for 3rd),
- Austin TX and Indianapolis IN (tied for 5th)
- Miami FL
- Detroit MI
- Richmond VA
- Houston TX
- Tropical Foods is the 10th largest Charlotte-area women-owned company.