Easter is only a two weeks away! While sorting through our old flyers, we bunny hopped across this flyer from 1988, and since Easter is so close, we decided to look up a few fun facts about the holiday. Make sure you have plenty of candy from Tropical Foods to fill your Easter eggs for your Easter egg hunt this year. And here are a fun interesting facts that we found about this egg filled holiday!
- Americans spend $1.9 billion on Easter candy. That’s the second biggest candy holiday after Halloween.
- 70% of Easter candy purchased is chocolate.
- The first story of a rabbit (later named the “Easter Bunny”) hiding eggs in a garden was published in 1680.
- “The White House Easter Egg Roll” event has been celebrated by the President of the United States and their families since 1878.
- The UK’s first chocolate egg was produced in 1873 by Fry’s of Bristol.
- The tallest chocolate Easter egg ever was made in Italy in 2011. At 10.39 meters in height and 7,200 kg in weight, it was taller than a giraffe and heavier than an elephant!
- Good Friday is an official holiday in 12 US states; Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.
- Nearly 120 million cards with be sent, exchanged, and given this Easter, which means it holds the fourth spot of the largest card-sending celebration in the U.S.
- Every child in the UK receives an average of 8.8 Easter eggs every year – double their recommended calorie intake for a whole week
- The largest ever Easter egg hunt was in Florida, where 9,753 children searched for 501,000 eggs.
Happy Easter Egg Hunting from Tropical Foods!